Sunday, January 24, 2010

Me vs. the sewing machine

Inspired my my mom's sewing skills of yesteryear I decided to take up sewing recently.   I've spit out pillowcases and burp cloths for just abut everyone I know...(if you haven't gotten yours just wait, its coming).   I signed up for class 2 with Maureen, of www.maureenmakesit.com, and I'm going to attempt a cushion and pillow covers for the new little futon couch in my guestroom/office/craft room.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd have a craft room. Its like the suburban mom cliche got a hold of my and is hosting off my once independent thinking mind. But it doesn't end there... Now all I can think of is do do do!  For example, I actually went scrapbook shopping. I bought an album and some fancy pattered scissors and odds and ends, and with my new toys I'm going attempt to create a memory book of Kylie's first year.  Its just weird, because in all my romantic pre-baby daydreams I was going to be the kind of mom who was always on the go doing cool stuff and showing my baby what the city had to offer.  Uh, not exactly how its turned out so far.  Thankfully, we are heading the the children's museum today with Kylie's bestie, so maybe that will help me feel like I'm fulfilling my chic city mom dream. 
Every new hobby I've had interest in lately is yanking me into Clear Lake Crafty Mom Club, and I never thought I'd see that day.
I admit its cool to see what I can create (aside from a gorgeous daughter).  My left brain runs free when I get to dreaming up stuff and its a good feeling to make it a reality.  It must run in my blood because my mom was this way. She made much of our clothes when we were young, and the woman could whip out quilts like it was no body's business.  I have no idea where she found the time to do that in between caring for us and working.  Its amazing, and part of me wants to be just like that.
On the downside, all these hobbies have uncovered the hoarder in me.  I almost never pass a fabric store with out going in and rummaging through the scrap fabric bins and I've started a box of scrap booking stuff, and my shutterfly account is overflowing with hundrends of pictures to print.  Combine that with my regular shopping habits and trying to decorate a house, I will have myself a reservation at the poor house in no time!

1 comment:

guitar playing mommy said...

I don't know what i pictured myself doing at this age, but I feel like an old lady. I have been quilting with my grandmother's group for 3 years now, and I crochet with the shawl ministries and in the last few years I have learned tatting. I think I would feel less like an old lady if I still had a job, but for now I don't think I would trade my stay-at-home mom life.