You may not know if you have ever been courtesy interviewed. Here are a few signs you may have been courtesy interviewed:
- you were recommended by a close friend/co-worker of the hiring manager (further, bringing you in could be felt as an obligation to the hiring manager)
- during the interview, the questions were very broad or very loosely related to the job you thought you were being interviewed for
- there was little to no mention of the job you thought you were there for
- at no time were salary requirements discussed
- it lasted less than 30 minutes
- you were not invited back for a second interview
I think it is a misleading and disappointing practice. The firm I work at humors its Partners and some referrers by having courtesy interviews. Straight-up, that's what we call them. I really don't think its a courtesy to anyone. It a waste of time for me (the interviewer), to have to see someone we know we are not going to hire. Its a let down to the applicant who thinks you have honest interest in them. It seems like it would be a slap in the face to the referrer, too. I think I'd rather know up front, if my referral was not a fit. Period, the end. I can't think of one courtesy interview where we met a person and were so completely wowed by them we hired them, or thought of them again when a postion did come open. Maybe, we have passed them along to other places where they could be a fit, but for the most part, its a courtesy, and nothing more. I reject the idea of the courtesy interview.
Last week, I believe I was the victim of such a practice. I was recommended highly by a colleague for a position I was pretty interested in. I emailed, and was immeditaly invited in for an interview, no phone interview, no questions asked. My senses were raised, but I chalked it up to my advocate who had raved about me to the hiring manager. I arrived, suited up and ready to go. I was so incredibly nervous, becasue so much rode on this meeting. I think I was asked 2 or 3 very open ended questions about my experience, and the rest of the time was filled with me reaching for questions to fill the awkward silences. I was out after 45 minutes. Considering my experience conducting interviews, this one did not look good.
Since I've had a few days to think about it, I suppose I should be releived. It wasn't for me. When a door closes, another opens, right? Even so, I'm still mad that someone put on the act as if they had interest in me as a potential employee, when clearly, their mind was made up otherwise.
Now, I won't know the actual outcome until Wednesday, and I am definately not holding my breath. I will be beside myself if I get any news other than confirming my hunch.
So to all my friend out there looking for a job, I warn you of the courtesy interview. It probably doesn't happen all that often, as most employers are so overwhelmed by applicants right now, the thought of bringing someone in who you KNOW you won't hire is a ridiculous practice, but it happens. So I sympathize with the disappointment you may feel. I'm right there with ya. My quazi-job search continues....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you know that I had a few of those in the past month. It pisses me off more than anything. now you know what Ive been talkin about.
Post a Comment